April 30, 2010

Colaborative Conflict in groups

I find that I've been in collaborative conflict when I've worked with groups in school. I think that most people have found themselves in similar scenarios, where relying on others and recognizing the benefit of working together towards a solution is beneficial to all. This happens in school groups most often. I find that im typically in groups that all want the same outcome, to pass the assignment and solve the problem at the benefit of everyone in the group. On a more recent assignment where i had to work with a group, we used the collaboration style to break up the problem into smaller parts to solve it. We organized ourselves in a way that maximized the efficiency of the group, by having people attack parts of the problem that they felt the most familiar with. I think that this 'divide and conquer' technique demonstrated the worth of working collaboratively in a conflicted situation.

I find that I am much more likely to be in a competitive conflict when faced with conflicts at work. This could be because of the importance most place on individually winning in the workplace, instead of working collaboratively for the best of everyone working. This can happen, and has happened to me, when a coworker feels that moving forward, or gaining points with management as an individual is more important than working together with others to impress management.

No comments:

Post a Comment