April 21, 2010

Finding creative solutions

Creativity can mean a multitude of different things. This diversity of what it means to be creative help a lot when trying to think of an example of creativity, outside of working in some artistic way. During my jobs I find that there are constant opportunities to find a creative solution to a problem. This occurs most often during my job at the coffee shop. One thing I’ve found out about working in food service and coffee for a while is that there is always a problem that needs to be fixed, or something is always broken. I’ve also found out that it’s in these chaotic that my strengths in creativity come to surface. I’m constantly collaborating with other managers to figure out a better way to make drinks, improve our speed, or fix a broken machine. More recently we had an issue with our menu, and couldn’t figure out how to fit in all the prices, and who was going to hand write the prices to match the pre-existing font. I suggested that we should try and match the font on a computer, print out some samples, and use the one that matches best. Using printed out prices turned out to be the quickest, most efficient solution to the problem. Looking back, I think this fits in perfectly with how the book describes creativity. The other manager was stuck on the problem by only looking at it form a certain perspective, thinking that the prices had to be handwritten and match the old font exactly. I was able to bring a new perspective, and knowing that a multitude of font are available because of graphic design experience, was able to help find a solution. I’ve found out through working in a lot of groups and teams that I really enjoy collaborating and taking a fresh perspective on old problems. I was glad to read in the book that sometimes you have to throw out old notions to find a new solution, something I always try to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment