March 13, 2010

Quick Rundown on Semantics

One concept that I thought could be discussed is the concept of semantics. Semantics studies are guided by three principles that look at the construction of meanings in language. It examines the fact that words alone have no power in meaning, but rather are given meaning as symbols by people. The idea that the words we use have no intrinsic value, except the value we assign to them as individuals, cultures, and societies is very significant. It helps one to understand how confusion and conflict can erupt over language. We are often face to face with disagreements over the importance of our words, and how we use them. A word or sentence that means very little to one person can easily carry much greater significance to another person. When people come to agree upon what a word means, and continue to agree on it, a real meaning for words is developed. I really enjoy the idea that the meaning to words lie in people, not in the words themselves. It helps me understand and realize that if I want to successfully communicate with others, I need to get an idea of how significant the words I use, and how I use them, are to others. A interesting example of this concepts could be found in the movie Citizen Kane (1946). In it, we are given what is, to the viewer, the meaningless word “rosebud”. It is only after watching the film, and understanding the significance of the word to the character, that the importance of using it in the movie is realized.
Other concepts of semantics state that language is a symbolic representation of reality, and it conveys meaning for our observations, inferences, and judgments. The main idea is that words we use are not actually the reality, but they stand in for the realities that we live out everyday. To me, this concept seems fairly simple on the surface. The word cup is obviously not the actual cup, but a representation of such that allows me to communicate to others a meaning for the thing I put my coffee in. Just as the fact I drank coffee this morning cannot be re-lived, or experienced by other individuals, but I can only convey what occurred through the language I use to tell them about the event. This idea follows the previous concept that the meanings we have are in people, not the words. This concept proves true only when individuals understand, transfer, and interpret symbolic representation for the words used.

1 comment:

  1. I'm Outside,

    I like how you analyzed the concept of semantics. Without reading the book, I could develop a thorough understanding of the definition. I agree that a word starts to gain meaning when a group of people can agree on a definition. I also agree that if someone is to improve the way they communicate, then they should take a deeper look into the words that they are using. Those words could convey a different message without the intention of doing so. I like your examples from Citizen Kane, and the word cup. They help to further understand the concept that people put meaning to words, and it is up to us to make sure we get the right point across.

    Henry

    ReplyDelete